As you wear it jewelry you can see characteristic traces - these are the consequences of the interaction of metal components with the environment (substances in the composition of sweat, cosmetics, etc.). Such changes are more pronounced on the links of the chain. To maintain the attractiveness of such a product, timely care of it is necessary. Gold is subjected to mechanical and chemical treatments. This removes dirt and any effects of reaction with the environment. You need to choose the appropriate way to clean gold chain. It is just as important to eliminate the cause of such changes immediately.
How to know when it's time to clean gold: the peculiarities of dirt settling on the weave of the chain and on the gold sample
GoldAs a metal without additives, it practically does not react with oxygen and many chemicals. But it is characterized by softness, and therefore to increase the durability of the composition of the components are introduced, giving hardness to products (usually copper and silver). It is because of them that gold periodically loses its external appeal. To understand that chain needs care, you can tell by the signs:
- the appearance of micro-damage or more visible scratches;
- loss of luster;
- The appearance of patina is a trace of oxidation of the additives in the composition, as a result, the chain darkens in fragments.
Contaminants (particles of soap, dust, etc.) accumulate in the difficult areas of the weave.
They are more intensely collected and on the branding where the assay is located.
Little secrets before preparing to clean your neck jewelry
To clean up gold chain in at home quickly and effectivelyThe main thing to take into account is its peculiarities: whether there are stones, what kind of stones and their origin (natural or synthetic). Secrets of handling such a product at the preparatory stage:
- In the presence of natural stones (pearls, coral, etc.) is prohibited to use aggressive means of cleaning;
- Before dipping into the container with the working solution, it is necessary to put a sheet of foil on the bottom, alternatively a cloth.
Important: All gold jewelry should be washed thoroughly with water, the presence of foreign compounds on the surface after cleaning can cause other reactions of the metal with the environment.
Top 20 remedies - how to clean gold necklaces yourself at home quickly and effectively
To have a chain made of precious metal shine, you need to decide what is the best way to clean it. But it is important not just to remove the dirt, but to restore the attractiveness of the jewelry. The shine reappears with the use of certain products: certain products, chemicals used at home.
Gold chain cleaning products in the bathroom
Some of the recipes are used more often than others: toothpaste, cosmetics or detergents. This is due to the fact that they act quickly, provide a good effect.
Toothbrush and toothpaste
The method allows you to remove dark areas. Thanks to the toothpaste, the gold begins to shine. Instructions:
- It is necessary to apply toothpaste to a soft bristle brush. Hard bristles can cause micro-damage on the chain.
- You need to clean the product from all sides, using moderate force.
- You can rinse the chain, but it is recommended that you continue to brush it under water to remove any paste residue.
Solution with detergent
As the basis take a recipe, the main component of which is liquid or laundry soap, powder - any detergent. Instructions:
- Prepare the components in any dosage to get an abundant foam. Dilute the detergent with water.
- Leave the chain in the container with the working solution.
- After a few minutes it is taken out, washed with water without additives.
The method is suitable for the removal of embedded dust and other contaminants.
Products for cleaning gold in the kitchen
Gold, because of its properties, does not tolerate the effects of aggressive agents. This means that if possible, you should choose milder substances, and there are quite a few of them among foodstuffs.
Boiling soda water
Cleaning is based on the reaction that develops when soda dissolves in hot water. This allows the chain to regain its luster. Recipe:
- Pour a little water into a metal container (to cover the product), put it on the stove.
- Throw in the baking soda (1 or 2 tbsp.), and it will sizzle.
- You need to bring the remedy to a boil, remove from the stove.
After a few minutes, the chain can be washed. The soda is easily rinsed off with water and the blackness disappears.
You can use the product as a cleaning agent. Mustard and water are used to rub the gold object. This removes simple dirt (dust, soap scum, etc.) and more complex - the effect of a matte finish. As a result, the shine returns.
Use the juice, it is aggressive, corrodes dirt, renews gold item. Prescription:
- Grind the onion: with a blender or grater.
- In the resulting mush add water (2 tbsp.).
- The product is rubbed on the jewelry, using a cotton pad.
If the dirt is difficult to remove, it is recommended to leave the chain in onion water for several hours.
The root vegetable is crushed (1 piece is enough), this will lead to an intense release of juice. The prepared mush is used to rub the chain, which is dirty. If you try to restore the properties of gold with a whole piece of potato, you can damage it. It is not necessary to add water (as in the case of onion pulp). The higher the concentration of potato juice, the better.
It acts less aggressively than onions.
The sweet solution will only help to slightly refresh the decoration, because it cleans too gently, and therefore does not cope with difficult dirt. You will need 200 ml of water, 2 tsp. of granulated sugar. In the resulting liquid, dip the gold chain.
You need to keep it in this environment for several hours, then rinse it, clean it from dirt with a lint-free rag.
Lemon juice or acid
This is one of the most effective methods to restore the luster of jewelry. Lemon (its juice) and citric acid are means almost equal in principle of action, properties. Recipe:
- Prepare two lemons, get juice from them.
- Dip the decoration into the container, leave it for 5-30 minutes, which depends on the intensity of contaminants.
- The product is rinsed with water, rubbed with a rag.
Instead of juice, you can use a solution based on citric acid.
3 recipes for saline solutions
Salt speeds up the separation of particles of foreign matter from the surface of gold jewelry. To make your chain shine, you can choose one of the recipes:
- boil the jewelry for a few minutes in a solution: 200 ml of water, 1 tbsp. of baking soda and salt;
- rub the products with a mixture of lemon juice and fine salt (table salt);
- at the bottom of a ceramic container put foil, on top - a mixture of detergent, salt, soda (take components in equal proportions), pour boiling water, the chain can be taken out of this solution, when it is cleaned.
Soaking in 9% vinegar
Prepare an aqueous solution (1:1). Soak the jewelry for half an hour in it. But this method is suitable for jewelry made of yellow, red gold. If platinum is included, there is a gemstone, the surface of the chain is matte, it means that vinegar cannot be used.
Beer + egg
The combination of ingredients works gently, but effectively. Recipe:
- Take in equal parts the protein of one chicken egg and beer.
- The components are mixed, lightly whipped with a whisk.
- Immerse the chain, and after 30 minutes, take it out, wash and dry it.
Preparations for cleaning gold from the home medicine cabinet
Homemade chemicals (ammonia or ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, etc.) are more aggressive than products or detergents. They often provide better results, and in a shorter amount of time. If handled correctly, they will not ruin a gold chain.
4 ingredient cleaning solution
The remedy provides the desired result in half an hour. Recipe:
- Mix in a ceramic bowl: 125 ml of water, 1 tsp. of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, a pinch of washing powder. If the chain is large, take 3 tbsp. of peroxide instead of 1 tbsp.
- First immerse the chain, soon take it out and rinse it with water.
The method is suitable for cleaning gold without stones.
Solutions with hydrogen peroxide
Different variants of recipes are used:
- Prepare 200 ml of water, 1.5 tbsp. ammonia, 2 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide - such product is used for soaking jewelry with traces of use;
- Take 20 ml of peroxide, 1/2 tbsp of dish detergent, then add 125 ml of water with ammonia (2 ml), then heat, immerse the chain in the solution and leave it for 20 minutes.
Ammonia or ammonia alcohol, mixtures based on it
You can remove tough dirt with ammonia-based solutions with different compositions. Recipe options:
- 1 tsp. ammonia, 2 tsp. laundry detergent, after mixing these ingredients add water - 150 ml, and it must be warm, the resulting solution is used to soak the chain;
- mix a few drops of ammonia, boiling water (ratio of 1:10), this remedy is used to dissolve dirt, but keep the chain under cover because of the odor emitted.
Cleaning trio: magnesia, glycerin, ammonia
The components are mixed in equal proportions. A dense product is obtained, which is used for polishing with a lint-free rag.
Know-how in home gold cleaning methods
If you do not have at hand the components to prepare a standard remedy, proven by many, you can try new methods, which are already actively used, which means that they are gradually deserving of credibility.
Gas-filled beverages (Coca-Cola, Pepsi)
The method is suitable for removing dark stains from old gold items, but provided that there are no stones on them. It is enough to soak the chain in a container filled with a sweet carbonated beverage (Coca-Cola or Pepsi will do). But this is not the most fast wayYou will have to wait 10-12 hours.
Use a colorless lipstick (hygienic), as there is a great risk that it will be impossible to remove a colored one. Micro-particles will remain on the areas with complex configurations.
The lipstick is rubbed on the chain, using a lint-free rag for this purpose.
Contact lens remedy
For regular care of your jewelry, you can purchase a special liquid called a contact lens soak. The chain should be soaked in it for a long period of time - 12 hours.
Hyposulfite solution for cleaning iodine stains
Sometimes gold gets dirty accidentally. If during medical procedures, iodine got on the hand where the bracelet was worn, the item can still be restored: it is immersed in a solution based on water and hyposulfite (250 ml, 1 tbsp.). After 30 minutes, the jewelry is removed and washed.
GOI Gold Cleaning Paste
When deciding how to clean a gold chain, consider methods designed to even out the tone of the surface. GOI paste is an all-purpose product, will remove traces of chemical reaction with the environment, and polish the surface.
You need to apply a small amount of paste to a high-strength weave rag, as it is important that the threads do not tear during polishing.
The existing types of this product: #1-4, differ in the size of the abrasive, and therefore are used for different purposes. To remove traces of chemical reactions on smooth surfaces use the varieties: №1 and №2.
How to get rid of blackness
Each of the means for cleaning gold is intended for certain types of products, is not universal. For the purpose of removing black plaque, consider effective methods:
- cleaning paste with their own hands is prepared using different components, recipes: in the first case they take Vaseline, laundry soap, which was previously crushed, toothpaste and chalk crumbs - all in equal proportions, the second version of the product involves the use of shavings of laundry soap, crushed chalk, these components are taken in equal parts, diluted with boiling water to form a pasty product, use to polish a rag;
- ordinary eraser: if the dark areas are still small and pale, you can use an eraser, remove them mechanically.
Chain polishing products
It is not always advisable to use cleaning fluids. When mild soiling occurs, simple and affordable remedies are often sufficient. They are used:
- a scrap of soft fabric and patience: felt, fleece - any materials with similar properties will be suitable for use as a polish;
- Chalk in powder form: helps to clean plaque, remove dark spots, for this you need to crush it, using a rag to rub it on the chain, then rinse the jewelry;
- GOI paste for polishing: the choice of means do in view of the degree of damage, for example, with severe scratches use № 4, at the next stage - № 3, but this variety gives the product dullness, to eliminate this effect, use a means №1 and № 2, as a result, you can get a perfectly smooth, shiny surface.
How to keep shine and beauty for a long time. Contamination Factors
To prevent the reappearance of contamination, you should eliminate the negative factors that contribute to the development of chemical reactions, deteriorating the appearance of the gold chain:
- Chlorine in the water spoils the appearance of the jewelry, but this is more likely if the gold is low-grade because it contains components that easily interact with the environment;
- Sweat and dust: a gold chain accumulates deposits of dust particles mixed with sweat, so it is better not to go jogging, active sports in the open space, if possible, the jewelry should be removed before sports activities;
- woollen things: the chain accumulates lint faster than other jewelry, because it is constantly touching the clothes when you wear them;
- long hair: both the lint from wool and hair can ruin the product, while they wind up on the chain, interfere with the opening of the clasp, spoil the appearance of the jewelry.
Tips for caring for neck jewelry when worn regularly
Recommendations that will help increase the period of application of the gold chain:
- Do not take a shower or bath with jewelry;
- apply body makeup before the chain is put on;
- You can't do sports without taking off your gold;
- It is better to refrain from going to the bath or sauna with jewelry;
- If you plan to wear a chain, it is better to choose a more appropriate outfit - with cleavage or minimal pile length.
How to clean a white gold chain from dirt?
What are the analogues of GOI paste?
Won't a toothbrush scratch white gold?
What is the best toothpaste or tooth powder to choose?
I have heard that white precious metal is blackened by bad energy. How can you clean the chain from the negative?
How do you remove hair from a chain?
Video: how to clean a gold chain quickly and effectively
In my home, all problems with jewelry are solved with toothpaste. It is a universal tool, but after cleaning it is important to remove traces of its presence, because the paste clogs in the microcracks.
Once I used GOI paste for glass, it went cloudy, and then I did not experiment with gold. I have heard that it contains abrasives. But my husband showed me by example that it is metal (not plastic or glass) that can be cleaned without the risk of damage.
I try different products from time to time: shampoos, soaps, etc. My criteria for choosing: low cost, ease of handling. Recently I heard from an acquaintance about carbonated drinks for cleaning jewelry. I liked the effect of "Cola. You can leave the gold in it for a while, the chain will not be spoiled.