Silver without inserts can be cleaned with different ways. The items are most often made of a jewelry alloy containing copper and other ligatures. This makes the jewelry more resistant to mechanical damage. Jewels of complex configuration and design require special care. Careful choices need to be made when choosing how to sterling silver With stones in at home. This will increase the life of the jewelry.
Compatibility of silver with stones. What can make silver turn darker?
Despite the fact that silver is an inexpensive metal, it is distinguished by its ability to combine with various stones. At the same time, the finished products look noble, in terms of their appearance they can be classified in the higher price category. This combination has been used for centuries, and it is still relevant today. The stones that are best combined with silver (taking into account the color, esoteric beliefs and centuries-old folk traditions):
- lapis lazuli;
This metal is best matched with inlays that have certain characteristics: they must be bright, opaque. Light stones will not suit, for example, such a variant will look great on products made of gold. But any piece of jewelry can lose its appeal. Reasons appearances blackness:
- contact with sweat: the bodily fluid contains sulfur, which oxidizes silver in contact with it;
- High air humidity: the environment contains substances with which the jewelry alloy ligature comes into contact, and moisture further accelerates the appearance of patina;
- temperature fluctuations;
- aggressive exposure to substances contained in cosmetics;
- exhaust fumes;
- reaction to sulfur in foods (onions, chicken eggs);
- interaction with metals (if the silver jewelry is stored with other items).
Preparation of cleaning tools. The nuances of effective cleaning
When cleaning is planned silver jewelry in your home, you first need to prepare. The choice of tools depends on the method used. The tools are usually the same. You will need:
- a container for mixing the components and preparing the solution;
- cotton swabs;
- lint-free rags;
- polishing cloth.
Rules to help quickly and efficiently remove dirt from stones, and additionally restore the luster of silver:
- Do not use abrasives such as dry powders or hard brushes to clean stones on jewelry;
- do not use aggressive agents, it can lead to a change in the properties of organic and synthetic inserts - they will become cloudy;
- Sometimes glue is used to secure the stones, in which case it is not recommended to abuse water;
- If you only want to treat metal, using more aggressive solutions, you must first cover the inserts of the jewelry so as not to spoil them;
- Do not allow temperature extremes during basic manipulation;
- After the procedure, the products are polished using a special cloth.
Top 10 best ways and how to clean silver with stones at home to make it shine fast and effectively
You should choose products designed for jewelry with stone inlays. This will allow you to properly care for such products. It is better not to use substances designed for metal cleaning, more often than not, they act too aggressively on the inserts.
Washing jewelry with soap and water
The main ingredient is any detergent:
- liquid soap;
- hair care products - shampoos of different kinds;
- laundry soap: it is crushed to shavings.
Take any amount of liquid and cleaning agent, you need to get a lot of foam. Soak the jewelry in it for half an hour. After that, you need to rinse the items with water under the faucet. If the dirt is more complex, after soaking, you can lightly rub the inserts with a soft toothbrush.
The soap solution is not used to care for jewelry pieces whose inserts are fixed with glue (in addition to the main fixing). If it is necessary to use only this remedy, you should moisten a toothpick with absorbent cotton in the solution, then rub the stone with it.
Cleaning products with organic inserts
Natural inserts are very demanding to care for. And for each species there are special remedies to remove dirt, they are chosen taking into account the peculiarities of the species.
Organic inserts should not be wiped dry after cleaning. They must dry naturally.
Soap solution for amber
Even the universal method (detergent-based solution) may be too aggressive for this stone. A minimum amount of soap should be added (1 tsp. per 200 ml of water). The solution should be in a weak concentration. And it is possible to soak the items only for 5-10 minutes.
Dry Coral Cleaning
To prevent the stone from losing its properties and attractiveness, it must not be exposed to water. The only available and effective method is dry cleaning. You can use any lint-free cloth or special wipes.
2 effective ways for pearls
Acid and alkali must not be used to care for this type of jewelry. This will lead to a change in the properties of the organic insert, it will lose its luster. It is recommended to use methods:
- Mix the components in a 1:1 ratio: starch and water. The porridge is rubbed on the product, it is better to use a rag without rubs and borders. If the dirt is not removed, you can use a soft toothbrush.
- If pearls have ceased to shine, choose other cleansers, such as sea salt. Pour it into a cloth baggie, put the jewelry there, and tighten the ropes over the top. You need to immerse it in water, rinse until the crystals dissolve.
Sea salt recreates the natural conditions for pearls, while it restores their properties faster.
Cleaning silver with mineral stones
Such inclusions were formed in nature as a result of rock displacement, meteorite fall, ore mining. Mineral stones are no less capricious, and only proven methods are used to care for them.
Gentle cleaning of turquoise, malachite and opal
If you have to choose a way to polish the silver ring with a stone of mineral origin, you should consider methods based on substances that do not have an aggressive effect. Moreover, there are means that can be used for metal as well, for example, ammonia alcohol. You will need:
- ammonia - 10-20 drops;
- 1 L of water;
- a container for preparing the solution;
- cotton swabs;
- lint-free rags;
- Glycerin or an alcoholic beverage (cologne will do) for difficult dirt.
- Mix ammonia with water.
- Leave the jewelry in the solution for half an hour.
- Rinse under the tap.
- The metal should be wiped with a napkin, if there is any contamination, they are removed with cotton swabs soaked in cologne/glycerin.
Extramethods for Emeralds, Aquamarines and Sapphires
A paste made from detergents is a good way to remove dirt. With it you can rub the items on all sides. The product is part of the care of rings, rings, crosses, bracelets, earrings, watches. For a chain, it is better to choose another method, since the paste will remain on the numerous areas where the links connect to each other. To prepare the cleanser, prepare:
- laundry detergent or toothpaste;
- wooden or plastic spatula.
- Mix the components until a paste without solids is formed.
- They put it on a rag and start cleaning the jewelry.
- Rinse the items under running water.
- Allow to dry.
Cleaning of garnet, topaz and ruby
Do not use a method that involves heat to care for the stones. Products may lose their attractiveness. A suitable condition is cleaning at room temperature. It is better to use clean water, rub the jewelry with a sponge (its soft side). Increases the effectiveness of glycerin. It is applied with a cotton swab.
If you have to choose a method to clean silver with stones from the blackness, using foil, soda and salt (the traditional way, involving the heating of products), it is too aggressive method, in addition, the heating is contraindicated for many organic, mineral inserts.
How to clean silver with stones with hydrogen peroxide at home
- hydrogen peroxide;
- A container of glass, ceramic (it is better not to use metal to avoid a reaction with silver);
- cotton swabs.
- Mix the main components - they are taken in any amount, but the ratio should always be the same - 1:1.
- Wet a cotton swab, rub the product.
- Rinse under the tap.
Hydrogen peroxide acts aggressively even on silver without inlays, so special care should be taken when using the substance to clean mineral, organic stones. It is better not to try to immerse the item completely in such a solution, as it may leave stains or show signs of deterioration. blackness. First, you need to apply the substance to the inside of the jewelry.
Video clip: how to clean silver with stones with citric acid
Summary table of silver cleaning agents
If your home has accumulated quite a lot of jewelry with different inlays, it is advisable to keep on hand a table that collects methods of care for silver with different kinds of stones:
|Insert type||The way of care|
|Topaz, ruby, garnet||Barely warm water, sponge (glycerin is acceptable)|
|Emerald, aquamarine, sapphire||Paste containing laundry detergent or toothpaste|
|Pearls||Starch and water or sea salt|
|Turquoise, malachite, opal||Ammonia or glycerin|
|Amber||Weak solution containing detergent|
Semi-professional silver cleaning products with stones
There are products on the market:
Dry substances are most often not used for cleaning jewelry, because there are many restrictions. If you don't have time to prepare home solutions, you can have your jewelry cleaned by using a special product. Its distinguishes universality. The special preparation is intended for the care of any jewelry: earrings, bracelets, rings, etc., made of silver and gold. It provides a quick effect.
Table: The cost of known remedies
Semi-professional special preparations are relatively inexpensive. And you can choose the right option for your jewelry, taking into account their shape, type of material. Available varieties of preparations:
What are the prohibitions in the process of cleaning silver with stones
It is not always necessary to use universal remedies. While some jewelry can be cleaned this way, stone inlays will darken and become stained. Prohibited techniques when caring for such items:
- Do not boil, it is better to use just lukewarm water or liquid at room temperature;
- Sharp, hard products should not be used to remove stale dirt;
- Dry powders are first diluted with water to make a paste or solution;
- You should not use equipment, it is safest to do it by hand.
How to prolong the brilliant life of a stone product
To not have to look for a way to clean silver earrings with stones or other jewelry with mineral, organic inserts, you need to properly care for them:
- Items are stored separately, it is important that they do not come into contact with other jewelry, for which use a box with velvet inside, cases made of suede;
- Periodically, silver jewelry is rubbed with a dry flannel or purchase special cloths for this purpose;
- Before cooking (especially when you plan to use vinegar or other oxidizing products) you should remove your jewelry;
- Do not wear jewelry with stones and for a jog, to the pool, sauna, gym.