When silverware is kept for a long time in operationthen lose their appeal. Their color (blackness) and shape change. Particularly badly affected are chain. Products of this type consist of many links, small parts. They are constantly subject to friction and are in contact with the human body. It is necessary to learn more about how to clean silver at home from blackening - the chain, first of all. This will allow you to go to the jeweler less frequently.
Why the silver chain on the body darkens
Silver changes color to a darker color rapidly. This can happen even the day after the previous cleaning. To prevent the restoration of jewelry from becoming a daily chore, the causes of this phenomenon should be eliminated, such as blackening Ag. This is due to the interaction with chemical substances. However, in its pure form silver darkens much more slowly.
The blackening is a consequence of the ligature.
On the one hand, additives in the form of other metals (precious and non-precious) improve the properties of silver products, but on the other hand, just as they accelerate the formation of blackness. In addition, there are other reasons for this phenomenon.
Explanations from esotericists. How to clean a silver chain from blackness. Recipes against negativity
There are the following reasons for changes in the color of silverware:
- The darkened chain indicates the infliction of spoilage, evil eye, theoretically at the same time there should be other manifestations: deterioration of the financial situation, health, etc;
- The approach of negativity, deterioration of the aura: in the past, silver was believed to protect against evil forces, so any change in its appearance spoke of imminent problems.
In addition, if the chain turns black, they immediately suspected the deterioration of health, the development of diseases. In fact, there is a good reason for this opinion. If the chain has turned black, it means that the biochemical processes in the body have changed: the hormonal background is disturbed, which affects the composition, the intensity of human sweat and sebaceous glands. It can occur due to natural reasons or against the background of developing pathologies.
Recipes that will help to clean a silver chain if it is supposed to have a negative impact on a person's energy:
- The blackened jewelry is left in the sun. Direct exposure to natural radiation removes negative energy. It is enough to wait for 1 hour, and then you can wear the chain.
- Sea salt solution. The remedy provides not as quick results as solar power, but is also considered effective in certain circles. You need to put the chain in the water, pour on top of the sea salt. To get the desired result, wait for 3 days. Then the jewelry is rinsed with water, continue to wear.
The scientific rationale of chemists
The main reason for the change in the external properties of a silver chain is the interaction with the environment. The jewelry can be affected by substances, components, and environments:
- air (contains certain compounds, near the sea - salts);
- water: the composition includes many components, and silver changes its properties in contact with tap water, sea water, drinking water or filtered water have no effect on the precious metal;
- chemicals: dishwashing detergents, cosmetics, etc.
В silver composition The alloy is a ligature, with copper having the highest proportion of additives. If the alloy is of poor quality (which is usually the case with low-priced items), it can turn black very quickly.
In contact with body fluids, silver changes color most often (interacts with sweat, sebum). The main reason is oxidation due to sulfur. This element is part of the sweat, so you should clean the product more often after sports and any physical activity.
What to remember before cleaning jewelry
Cleaning a necklace, giving it its original appearance, is more difficult than taking care of rings or earrings. Such jewelry is made up of a multitude of elements. Dirt accumulates between the links of the chain, which is difficult to remove because there are not enough tools to reach the hard-to-reach areas. Rules to follow to clean a silver chain from blackness to shine:
- remove the hangers, disassemble the product if possible;
- soak the jewelry in a soapy solution, then cleaning will be easier because most of the dirt will come off the metal surface.
In the next stage, special agents are used, the action of which is aimed at eliminating the tarnish on the silver. Cleaners substances can be dry or liquid. The first ones are limitedly used, as they are effective only if used correctly, otherwise there is a risk of scratches. Dry substances are suitable for a limited amount of jewelry.
Top 10 effective ways, what and how to clean a silver chain at home from blackness quickly to shine
Purchase special products designed to take care of jewelry. However, everyone has easy-to-use remedies at home. They can be purchased at a low price to remove difficult dirt from a blackened chain in a short period of time.
Boiling in baking soda on foil
Exposure to high temperatures alone will not provide the desired effect. This is an indirect factor - one of the conditions under which other substances exhibit cleansing properties. When deciding what to clean a silver chain at home so that it shines, among the first to consider is the foil-based method.
To do this you will need:
- soda - 50 g;
- water - 100 g: the purer it is, the better, because impurities can interact with the ligature in the silver alloy, filtered or potable;
- A metal pot (the solution will be prepared on the stove, glass and plastic utensils are not suitable);
- It is necessary to boil water.
- They put foil on the bottom. For convenience use cutlery or long tweezers so as not to touch the boiling water.
- Soda is added.
- Lowering the chain onto the foil.
- After 15 seconds, the product is removed. It should be rinsed with water from the remaining baking soda solution.
Using felt or other rags with a soft lint polish the product.
Hydrogen peroxide in solution
The properties of the metal change depending on its composition. The amount and type of ligature determines how the jewelry will behave when exposed to a particular environment. To whiten silver, hydrogen peroxide should be considered the latest method available. This product can permanently change the appearance of the chain. Use it as carefully as possible. It is better to get preliminary advice from the jeweler, whether it is possible to apply peroxide for a particular piece of a particular sample. For cleaning, you will need:
- A rag or cotton pad;
- hydrogen peroxide - 2 tbsp;
- water - 1 liter;
- alcohol - any amount (for degreasing the chain).
- First, you need to remove the fat layer from the jewelry, as any extraneous substances can contribute to changing the appearance of the product. To do this, use a cloth and alcohol.
- Cleaning a silver chain at home is done with an aqueous solution of peroxide, not a pure chemical. The components are mixed and the object is dipped into the liquid.
- After 3 hours, it is removed, rinsed with water.
Not knowing how to clean a silver chain from blackness by other means, quite often the traditional option is chosen. A solution based on citric acid removes various impurities, including limescale and black plaque on the silver chain. Prepare:
- citric acid - 100 grams;
- water - 500 ml;
- enameled pot;
- lint-free rags.
- Citric acid is poured into the water.
- The container is placed on the stove, heated.
- When the liquid boils, you can put a silver chain on the bottom.
- The duration of the procedure is 15-30 minutes. The more complex the soiling, the longer the jewelry is kept in the solution.
- You need to rinse the product under running water, wipe with a rag.
When choosing how to clean a silver chain, you must remember that it is better to replace dry powders with other means. It is an abrasive, it easily traumatizes the delicate surface. Clean the jewelry with a viscous substance (mush, paste) or solution. To remove blackening from a silver chain, prepare:
- lint-free rags;
- water (arbitrary volume);
- baking soda.
- It is necessary to mix baking soda with water to form a viscous pulp.
- Apply a small amount to a rag and begin to clean the blackened areas. It is a good idea to additionally use a soft toothbrush. This is the only way to clean the chain links in the areas where they connect to each other.
- Polishing with baking soda is performed until all contaminants are removed.
- The decoration can be washed with clean water.
If needed choose howIf you want to know how to whiten a silver chain as quickly as possible, you can consider this option. The speed of destruction of black plaque depends on its complexity. For the items to begin to shine, it is necessary to prepare:
- ammonia alcohol (aqueous ammonia solution, concentration 10%) - 1 tsp;
- water - 500 ml;
- a few drops of liquid or melted laundry soap;
- A stainless steel or ceramic container to reduce the risk of a chemical reaction between the materials.
- The components are mixed in one pot: ammonia, soap and water.
- In order to clarify the chain is lowered to the bottom of the container.
- Leave the jewelry in this environment for 30 minutes or more, depending on the complexity of dirt.
- Then it remains to rinse the product by filling the container with water.
How to clean a silver chain at home from blackness quickly to shine with vinegar
It is not necessary to take a concentrated product. It is enough to prepare a solution (6%). To perform the procedure, you need to prepare a container. Instructions:
- The product is heated, only then will it be able to lighten black silver. And the recommended temperature is at +50°C.
- Dip the chain into the container, leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
A lint-free rag is used to remove any residual moisture. It will also help to give even more whiteness to the product, because the treatment removes residual plaque that has come off the metal surface under the influence of acid.
Other kitchen know-how in the apartment
The original methods can effectively remove tarnish from a silver chain, make it shiny again. Few people guess about the use of some of them for the purpose of cleaning jewelry. Options:
- "Coca-Cola": wash jewelry with an aggressive means, only if nothing else helps, it is enough to dip the items in the drink, after a few hours wash it under running water;
- salt is often used if you need to find a way to clean a silver chain, if it has no inserts (stones), salt is always available in the apartment, it is inexpensive and effective, to get the desired result, dissolve 1 tbsp. in 1 liter of hot water, then drop the item in the solution, rinse when the liquid cools;
- Potatoes: contains substances that help brighten black silver, you need to grate the raw tubers, add water, leave the product for 10-15 minutes, then remove, rub with a flannel rag.
Video clip: how to clean the silver chain from the darkening at home folk remedies
Question and answer section
How to clean a silver chain from the dirt at home?
How to make a silver chain shine at home?
Table: professional silver cleaning products, how to clean the silver chain from the black, the cost in rubles
It is not always advisable to use improvised means. They are used when it is not dangerous to clean a silver chain: there are no stone inserts, there is no rhodium coating. In other cases, it is better to choose one of the professional tools:
|Product name||Name of the online store||Cost, rubles.|
|GOI paste (#1-4)||chipdip.ru||85|
Even the use of professional preparations can lead to a deterioration in the appearance of the chain. But this is possible if the substance has not been used according to the instructions.
When it is better to see a specialist
In order not to spoil your jewelry, you should immediately take it to a jeweler. It is recommended to do this in cases where:
- if there are stones in the product;
- the chain is characterized by a complex structure;
- failed to clean the dark spots on their own;
- silver has lost its luster, there was a white plaque after the use of improvised means.
It is better not to bring the silver chain to a deplorable condition. If there are doubts about the use of a particular remedy, you should not use it.
Tips for taking care of silver
Regular cleaning will help prevent the appearance of stubborn plaque. For frequent use, more gentle means (clean water or soap diluted in water) should be used. The more difficult the dirt, the more thoroughly should be cared for. At this stage, choose ammonia, baking soda, vinegar and other means. Other recommendations:
- The chain should be removed before going to bed, for sports, if physical labor is planned;
- The jewelry is put on after the application of grooming body lotion, not after;
- If you had to go for a run in a necklace, you should rinse it under running water on your return.
Video: how to clean a silver chain from the blackness at home
If pastes or polishing agents are used every time, the thickness of the metal will decrease over time. It is especially dangerous to use such products to care for rhodium-plated jewelry. It is expensive and time-consuming to restore, and no one is going to take their piece to be repaired regularly. It is easier not to wear it than to put so much effort into its care.