It is believed that gold can act allergen. In addition to jewelry jewelry благородный металл присутствует в некоторых продуктах питания, в лекарственных препаратах, медицинских приборах. С золотом можно контактировать в косметическом салоне. Может ли быть вызвана аллергия на золото? Предлагаем разобраться в этом вопросе, рассмотрев свойства благородного металла.
Properties of pure gold as an inert metal
В химии золото считается инертным металлом. Он не отличается высокой химической активностью, не вступает в реакции. По этой причине metal does not oxidize, is not exposed corrosion, does not interact with many Acids. Отсюда и название: благородный. Но активно реагирует с кислородом и с водными растворами. Растворяется во ртути.
Gold is physically exposed to high temperatures: 300-400 degrees Celsius.
Of the physical properties of metal stand out:
- high heat conductivity;
- low electrical resistance;
Due to its softness, gold successfully combines with other metals. In the manufacture of jewelry, the noble metal is often alloyed with silver, copper, palladium. A single thin ring may be an alloy of five elements.
Pure gold is very heavy. For example, if you fill a liter bottle with gold sand, it will weigh about 16 kilograms. Gold without impurities has a 999.9 grade, which means that it contains no impurities.
This metal is called bank gold, and ingots are made of it.
What is a ligature and which metals change the properties of gold
В металлопромышленности используется термин «лигатура». Говоря простым языком, это сплав нескольких metals в разных долях. В золото добавляются дополнительные примеси, которые влияют на свойства благородного металла. Как меняются его свойства?
- Alloy jewelry is lighter;
- The colors and shades of the product are modeled;
- the cost of the future product is reduced;
- the finished product acquires a hardness that pure metal does not have.
The properties of a noble metal change depending on what metal is added to it:
- Copper gives the alloy a reddish hue; it adds hardness;
- Palladium makes the jewelry white, in addition, this ligature is flame-resistant and does not corrode;
- Zinc mixed with metal gives a product with a low melting point; it gives a greenish tint;
- Silver enhances the malleability, giving it a greenish tint;
- nickel makes the jewelry hard;
- Platinum is used to impart whiteness, enhances elasticity.
It is acceptable and necessary to use alloys to produce jewelry. But often, unscrupulous manufacturers reduce the proportion of noble metal in the ligature in an attempt to save money.
Types of gold with impurities
In the jewelry market, you can find gold jewelry in different colors. Buyers think that these are varieties of metal, but in fact pure gold has only one color: yellow, gold. The colors of products are the results of alloys.
Gold jewelry in white is highly prized in the jewelry world. White is a sign of nobility and purity. It's no coincidence that white gold is quickly purchased by fashionistas.
In fact, the white color is obtained by alloying gold with palladium or platinum.
Such pieces are of high quality and have a long wear life. For example, Turkish jewelers use cheaper nickel instead of palladium and platinum. Naturally, this fact is ignored, and the product is passed off as natural.
The danger of nickel is its allergenicity.
Why gold allergy symptoms appear
Surprisingly, pure gold does not cause any allergic reactions. But cases when a rash can appear on the place of the jewelry, are frequent. How can this be explained?
The irritant may not be the noble metal, but one of the alloying elements. A common allergen is nickel, which is added to alloys because of its low cost.
If it seems that you are allergic to a gold ring, it is possible that the product is made of a metal with impurities.
The only advice for avoiding contact with such jewelry is to buy it in a trusted store and to ask for a license for the product. In addition, you should always buy jewelry made of gold of the highest standard. Such items are more expensive, but safer for your health and of higher quality.
Gold in contact with household chemicals
Another cause of an allergic reaction: getting drops of detergent on a ring or bracelet, or shampoo or shower gel on earrings or a chain. From the jewelry products get on the skin and cause a rash. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you remove jewelry before cleaning, washing dishes. You should also take them off during water procedures.
The small size of the jewelry
We are not talking about allergies, but rather about skin chafing. For example, a girl wears a small gold ring. Tightly wrapped around her finger, it rubs the skin, causing redness and a rash. The place begins to itch or hurt.
Large pieces of jewelry pressed tightly against the skin
Overly bulky jewels pressed against the skin surface disrupt natural perspiration. Pathogenic bacteria, which are irritants, appear and begin to actively reproduce on this site.
Often such cases are mistaken for manifestations of allergies.
Manifestations of allergies and places of their localization
If you pay attention, you can notice that the so-called allergy to gold articles появляется только в местах соприкосновениях их с кожей. Основные места локализации симптомов:
- ears, earlobes in this place the reaction does not appear as often, since the main part of the jewelry hangs in the air;
- neck, neckline may be covered with a rash after wearing necklaces with pendants;
- wrists suffer after wearing bracelets or watches;
- fingers are the most likely to be allergic because rings the most popular decorations.
How can it manifest itself gold allergy?
- Itching, and unbearable, appears literally half an hour after contact with the skin;
- Peeling is more often caused by dry skin in places of contact with the jewelry;
- The skin rash appears mostly in places where the jewelry has come into contact with it, but then spreads to the rest of the area;
- Swelling is often seen on the fingers if the gold rings are tight;
- pain, of course, accompanies the external manifestations: redness, swelling;
- the formation of purulent inflammation can occur in advanced cases;
- watery bubbles also I on the places where there were rednesses, and which were not paid attention to;
- The stains are predominantly dark if there is a lot of copper in the jewelry;
- pains are more often caused by rubbing;
- purulent formations occur in very advanced cases.
The slightest of these symptoms is a signal that the jewelry should be removed.
First aid in case of an allergic reaction to gold jewelry
If symptoms of allergy to gold jewelry are found, they should be removed. Most often, redness or rashes go away on their own within a few hours. If they do not go away, you need medical attention. What doctor should I see? Who treats allergies?
- Therapist. You first go to your neighborhood therapist. He determines the nature of the disease and refers you to a specialist.
- An allergist directly examines and treats all types of allergies. To determine the exact nature of an allergic reaction, a number of tests will be needed.
- A dermatologist can help to eliminate the external manifestations of allergies on the skin: rashes, redness, blisters. Treatment is done with medications: pills, gels, ointments, lotions.
- Immunologist. Sometimes allergies can be caused by completely different causes, such as immune system malfunctions. An immunologist is a specialist who identifies these causes and helps eliminate them.
Often you don't need ointments or pills to get rid of allergies. It is enough to strengthen the immune system, improve nutrition, and allergic reactions will pass on their own.
Dermatologist's recommendations for the treatment of allergic manifestations
To relieve allergic symptoms, antihistamines are prescribed. Their functions: to block allergies, eliminate itching, pain, and relieve redness. They include: Fenistil, Soventol, Psilo-balm. These are drugs of external application: ointments, gels.
If the wounds do not heal for a long time, dermatologists recommend anointing the skin with one of the ointments: Bepanten, Aktovegin, Videstim.
To disinfect the skin, antiseptic ointments are used: Furacilin, Erythromycin, Levosin. In more complicated cases, Gorm ointment is prescribed.
Important: Medications must be prescribed by specialists! This is especially true for hormonal ointments, which can have side effects.
Preventive measures to prevent gold allergies
Any problem is easier to prevent than to solve. You shouldn't give up on gold jewelry at all. You just need to pay attention to the quality of gold when you buy it and avoid fakes. It is recommended to buy gold in official jewelry stores, for example, in "Sunlight" or "Sokolov. It is also better to give preference - the highest assay.
This is especially true of those pieces of jewelry that are worn all the time: wedding rings, earrings, crosses.
Earrings from 750 gold will be of higher quality than the 375th standard. The number 375 indicates that the so-called gold jewelry contains only 37.5% of the precious metal. Can this piece of jewelry be considered gold? No wonder that after wearing it, it will not be long before you have an allergic reaction.
Alternative methods of traditional medicine
You can fight gold allergies with the help of alternative medicine. There are known folk methods:
- alcoholic tinctures of chamomile, calendula, and peony;
- decoctions of the same plants;
- Freshly squeezed potato, apple, and cucumber juices.
Tinctures are used to wipe the affected areas. Compresses are made with the juice and kept for 15-20 minutes. These remedies reduce itching, relieve redness, and have a healing effect on wounds.
Scientifically unproven hypotheses of the gold allergy origin
There are unscientific opinions as to whether or not there is an allergy to gold.
- The psychosomatic point of view. Psychosomatics believe that all illnesses are in a person's head. If allergic reactions appear on the skin after wearing gold, the person probably does not want to wear it. Perhaps he feels guilty about the expensive purchase.
- The esoteric version. Esotericists say that gold is not suitable for everyone. Gold jewelry can be lost or stolen. Another sign that gold is just a stranger to its owner is the appearance of allergies.
It is impossible to answer one hundred percent whether these versions are true or not, because they are not scientifically confirmed.