The ground is often where many valuable coins have been for a long time, causing them to lose their original appearance. They foul up with plaque, sometimes so much so that it is difficult to find the inscriptions. Then there is a need for cleaning, choosing effective ways and means.
How and from what changes the appearance of silver coins
Silver is naturally weakly inert. In constant contact with oxygen, silver objects tarnish and oxidize. Dark patina and stains appear on the surface.
Preparing coins for cleaning at home
Cleaning silver coins in at home begins with preliminary preparation. When stored without a case, or if they are recently found, oxidation products appear on the surface. Such a layer must be removed before starting to clean silver by any means necessary.
As a rule, the patina that has appeared on the surface, leave intact, because it can tell about the age and increase the value of the product.
The preparatory work consists of the following actions:
- Remove the dirt, dust with a flap of cloth. If the buildup is difficult to wipe off, you can use a toothbrush.
- All actions must be neat, smooth, avoiding damage to the surface;
- Do not use aggressive chemicals or metal brushes, even if the surface requires thorough cleaning.
- After the preparatory work is completed, each item should be rinsed with running water and wiped well. Each coin is always washed separately. A poorly dried surface will eventually become a place where rust will appear.
Top 10 effective ways to clean silver coins at home from blackness, rust and dirt
There are a number of methods to clean silver coins. There are home remedies available to everyone, or specially purchased solutions. The main thing is that the cleaning should be done according to the recommendations. It is very important when cleaning with chemicals not to spoil the silver object.
Solution with laundry soap
Cleaning silver coins with a soap solution is one of the safest but time-consuming methods. Most often the method is used when it is necessary to wash valuable specimens without losing their properties. To prepare the remedy it is necessary to:
- Grate a small piece of laundry soap on a coarse grater. Pour a little water in the resulting mass. Wait for the soap to dissolve completely.
- The object is dipped into the prepared solution and kept like that for several days.
- When the right time has passed, silver is cleaned with a soft pile brush and dip it back into the soap solution.
- All steps are repeated until the surface is clean.
Polishing with toothpaste
If needed remove dark plaqueToothpaste is considered to be effective. The surface is well covered with the sanitizer and left for 10-15 minutes. Then the object is cleaned with a brush or a flap of cloth.
Some people prefer to use tooth powder, but experts recommend using a gel without abrasives. This is because the powder often contains baking soda. When finished, the cleaned metal is washed and wiped dry.
Hot cleaning with baking soda and foil
Baking soda itself has large, coarse particles that can scratch surfaces. That said, it is often used to clean tougher, low-grade metals. Foil mixed with baking soda produces a chemical reaction that allows effectively remove the oxide film. This method helps quickly get rid of dirt, returning products to their original luster.
Step-by-step execution of the process:
- You need to take a deep container. At the bottom in small pieces tear the foil. Soda should be taken, based on the proportion of 2 tsp. per 200 ml. of water.
- Putting all the components in a container, they are stirred. The silver is also put there and steep boiling water is poured.
- The soda will react with the aluminum, resulting in the formation of foam, which will begin to rise. This, too, must be taken into account when choosing a container.
- Already after 10-15 minutes, the item can be taken out and wiped down with a cloth. Such a simple method will make the monetary units shine as before.
3 recipes with table vinegar
There are several recipes on the basis of table vinegar:
- Place the silver in the bottom of a glass, pour pure vinegar so that the liquid covers it completely. Leave the metal for a period of at least 4 hours. After the required time, the coins are washed and dried.
- For 150 ml of vinegar you need 3 tablespoons of baking soda. Rub the mixture on the silver and leave it for 3-4 hours. After the surface should be brushed, washed and dried.
- Take 150 ml of vinegar, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, 3-4 drops of tea tree oil. Mix everything well. Dip the item in the composition and leave it for the whole night. In the morning it is washed from the pungent smell, rubbed well with a cloth.
Tincture with ammonia
Ammonia is the most popular means of cleaning precious metals. Ammonia is poured into a shallow container, the metal is lowered and covered tightly to prevent fumes from escaping. The metal is left in the liquid for 30 minutes, turning it occasionally. After half an hour, ammonia is thoroughly washed off, wiped well.
Soaking in citric acid
Effectively cleanses oxidation silverware lemon composition. To soak the coins, prepare a mixture by taking 1 part acid and 3 parts water. Coins are placed there for half an hour. If necessary, the procedure is repeated until the surfaces are completely clean. On the same principle as soaking, boiling can be carried out.
2 recipes with salt
- Two tablespoons of salt are needed per 0.5 liters of water. The mixture is used to boil, or soak until the coins are free of plaque.
- Hot water is mixed with vinegar in equal parts. On the bottom of the container is lined with foil, which is covered with 1 tsp of salt and the same amount of baking soda. The dry part is poured with the liquid. The duration of cleaning is 20 minutes.
Folk recipes for cleaning silver
When the dirt is insignificant are effective folk remedies for cleaning silver objects. Such methods include:
- Potatoes. Peeled potatoes and coins are placed in a container, leave so for 3 hours.
- Coca-Cola. Coins are poured with the drink and infused for 2-3 hours. If necessary, the process is repeated until the coins are completely clean.
Water after boiling eggs
It is believed that the boiling water left over from boiling chicken eggs can refine silver. To do this, coins are dipped in the liquid for 1-2 hours. After soaking, they must be rubbed thoroughly, removing all the soaked plaque.
5% formic acid solution
Formic acid removes the oxide well. Coins are lowered into the 5% mixture for 10-15 minutes. After the product is taken out, wipe well with a cloth.
Oil of olive is moistened with a cotton pad and rubbed on the item. This product does not remove oxidation well, but helps to give the metallic shine surfaces.
The nuances and precautions of silver cleaning
There are silver cleaning tips to protect the surface from damage:
- Regardless of the chosen product, cleaning will only be effective if the product is pre-prepared.
- Any manipulation with the metal should be done very carefully, taking your time. When mixing different ingredients at home, it is necessary to strictly follow the proportions and recommendations.
- It is forbidden to use substances for cleaning that are designed to polish the surface. It is also better not to expose the coins to sudden temperature changes.
- The choice of cleaning method should depend directly on the rarity of the coins and their value.
- If several units need to be cleaned at the same time, it is important that they do not come into contact with each other.
- Each cleaning step must be accompanied by washing and drying the coins.
Jeweler's recommendations for cleaning silver coins
If you can't visit a master restorer, you can use only a soapy solution at home. The main condition is to use distilled water to eliminate electrolysis. But it is effective only against fresh accumulations. If green or rust appeared on the surface, cleaning at home is strictly prohibited.
Zilbertauschbader-a rare and unique cleaner for all coins
Everyone who has at least a few valuable coins in his collection knows the Zilbertauschbader solution. The main feature of the solution is that you can buy it only through the Internet. The purpose of the product is to clean the precious metal from dirt, which it copes with better than any solvents. Its effectiveness is often compared to jewelry work specialists.
Other professional coin cleaners
Cleaning arsenal for precious metals in specialists is quite extensive:
- Silbo: it takes about 10 minutes to clean. A coin is poured into a container and dipped for 4-6 minutes. Then it must be rinsed and dried. The object that has lain in the solution is covered with a film that protects it from corrosive processes.
- Leuchtturm: Its purpose is to remove oxides and heavy soiling. The metal is immersed in the liquid for several minutes. Afterwards, the metal is well washed and wiped dry.
- Shine Coins: quickly removes any dirt and blackness. To clean, a cotton pad is moistened with the solution and rubbed on the surface for several minutes.
- Asidol-M: designed to fight grease, plaque and other stains. The product is spread on the surface and wiped off after a few minutes with a cloth.
Cost of cleaning a silver coin at a jeweler
The cost of services for cleaning coins depends on the value of the unit, the choice of means, the complexity of the work and the degree of contamination. On average, the price for cleaning starts at 100 rubles.
Numismatist's Commentary on the Cleaning of Antique Coins
- After cleaning is complete, the metal is rinsed well with room temperature water and dried;
- A small amount of paraffin is rubbed between the fingers.
- Rub the coins with your fingers, without exerting strong pressure on the surface.
- Make sure that the entire surface is evenly coated with the substance, without lumps.
How to store silver coins properly
The appearance of collectible coins often depends on storage. Which means you need to understand how to do it right. There are several types of packages designed specifically for coin storage:
- An album is the most financially accessible way. More often popular among beginners numismatists. The album itself is a book with ring fasteners for special insert sheets. Each unit on such a sheet has a separate place. The number of cells depends on the size of collectibles.
- Slab, capsule - are peculiar plastic storage boxes. They provide protection from damage to rare specimens, limiting air access. Distinguished by from each other in form.
- Holder - for the most part is considered a temporary case. Made of cardboard, it is an envelope with a glass or plastic opening.
Video: how to clean silver coins
It's hard to believe that there are so many easy ways to clean for home use. But I knew about the action of soap solution and ammonia alcohol for a long time. Even my great-grandmother said that a mixture of these products is good for cleaning any silver. The main thing is to soak the metal and then carefully rub it with a cloth.
In the house, my grandfather left some unusual silver coins, which were covered with a green outgrowth. I read about the baking soda method. I tried it and was surprised at how quickly it washes out. If I boil the silver in a solution of baking soda with foil, the plaque will come off in a few minutes. After boiling, I rub the coins with a woolen cloth. As a result, they shine like newly minted coins.